Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lengua

I have been encouraging Hubby to branch out from his usual texmex and try some authentic mexican dishes. Don't get me wrong I hail from the land of texmex and I love it but Texas also happens to be northern Mexico and I have had the opportunity to visit hole in the wall taquerias like Tortilleria de Zacateca off Camp Bowie and taste the heaven that is lengua tacos.

**The cow tongue is a very unattractive organ please feel free to find your closest carniceria and purchase this stuff precooked. It is much more asthetically pleasing and will have you eating much more quickly. However if you have a few hours and can handle the tongue without gagging please read on**

I went to a local hispanic market and purchased this cow tongue which my husband unwrapped gagged and then left threatening to not eat the end result. While laughing I put the tongue in a stock pot tossed in 2 quartered onions, peppercorn, dried crushed bay, leaves garlic, and salt. Add water until the tongue is covered by 2-3 in. and crank on the heat. By crank I mean bring to a boil and leave to simmer for ~3 1/2 hours if you are cooking a 3 lb tongue like me.



The tongue should turn white and float

 I know EEEWWW but it tastes delish I promise! Carefully cut off the rubbery white skin(shown above) and discard.





 I love lengua. I adore lengua. I cannot eat lengua unless it is diced. It is easier to put in tacos and/or enchiladas and if you do not dice you run the risk of a mouthful of taste buds... its a weird texture.... but the meat is gosh darn good so chop chop chop away. 
TADA!! Lengua tacos

1 Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

Wow. I wandered over when I saw this recipe on Tasty Kitchen, and I'm almost brave enough to do it. We recently bought HALF A COW and I have a tongue (among many other undesirables) in my freezer. I've never had lengua tacos, but you may have convinced me to try it. I have no idea what else I'd do with that blasted tongue! Gracias :)

September 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Follow Me on Pinterest